Bows, jewels, and feathers- OH MY! This is exactly what you will saying as you exit the Glamour and Romance of Oscar de la Renta exhibit at the Museum of Fine Arts. Oscar has been a fashion icon ever since I can remember and the opportunity to see these looks up-close was truly a magical experience.
The art of fashion is fascinating and you can’t help but imagine the thousands of hours it took to create these amazing masterpieces. But, visiting these exhibits, it’s like a personal interview with the designers themselves. I learned so many new things about him that have increased my love for his work.
10 FUN FACTS ABOUT OSCAR DEL LA RENTA YOU MAY NOT KNOW
1. Not only did SJP wear his dresses in Sex in the City but they were actually friends.
2. He never made a garment that his wife wouldn’t buy or wear
3. He was Dominican but his biggest inspiration came from Spain.
4. He was studying to be a painter, not a designer.
5. He has dressed every first lady since Jackie Kenney.
6. He was also a singer, in 1996, he released an album of Spanish love songs titled “Recordando Amores Imposible.”
7. He had a green thumb and actually maintained his own vegetable garden.
8. He had a great foundation working with some of the best high fashion brands including Cristóbal Balenciaga, Christian Dior, and was a couture assistant at Lanvin.
9. He was so popular in Washington that Laura Bush was asked to change out of the red embroidered tulle ensemble that she wore for the first part of the Kennedy Center Honors in December 2006 when four other women showed up that night in the same gown.
10. He died of cancer in 2014 but will live on in the eyes of fashion lovers forever!
You don’t have to be a fashion lover to appreciate these works of art. This exhibit will be open thru January, for more info visit the museum website HERE. I encourage to take a look, you never know what he may inspire in you?
“Fashion is about dressing according to what’s fashionable. Style is more about being yourself.” -Oscar de la Renta