This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #VivaLaMorena #RediscoverLaMorena #CollectiveBias
We are rediscovering LA MORENA® on the blog today. It’s only appropriate that we talk about all things Mexican as we round off Hispanic Heritage Month. Jalapeños have always been a staple in our kitchen for as long as I can remember. From the traditional Mexican dishes to some pretty interesting combinations.
My mother loves being in the kitchen and she is always putting a little “Mexican Flair” to everything. Myself, being the one that hates the kitchen (this is not a joke), I steer clear of your traditional cooking and love to create easy, random dishes adding my own “Mexican Flair.” A little fusion tasty randomness!
I have written about not feeling Hispanic enough (HERE) and I have always felt like the “fusion friend.” I’m somewhere between All American and Traditional Mexican but, I can now comfortably say, I’m combining everything and it makes sense. It only took 30+yrs, moving out of the country, climbing the corporate ladder, and starting my own business to figure that all out.
To all the “fusion friends” out there, lets spread the joys of combining our different cultures, rediscovering the interesting things, and the awesomeness this can bring. Fusion food has become some of my favorite and think we all have a little fusionness (is that even a word?). After all, the US is a melting pot- lets cook in it together! LA MORENA® has been fusing quality and tradition for 45 yrs. I’m challenging you to rediscover new recipes this year and learn something new. Rediscover LA MORENA® at Fiesta and get $1 OFF COUPON!
1 28oz Can LA MORENA® Whole Jalapeños
2 ½ C Plain Bread Crumbs
2 Large Eggs
2 Medium Tomatoes
1 Can Refried Beans
½ c Queso Fresco
2 tbsp Milk
1 tbsp Cilantro
¼ tsp Minced Garlic
¼ tsp Ground Pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Line a cookie sheet with foil and set aside.
2. BEFORE you drain, save 1 tbsp of the brine if you would like a spicier topping. Open and drain the can of La Morena Jalapenos.
3. Cut stems from jalapenos, cut them lengthwise, and remove seeds. Pat dry with a napkin and set aside.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk eggs and milk.
5. In a separate bowl, pour the breadcrumbs.
6. Dip jalapenos in the egg wash, then into the breadcrumbs, and place on the lined cookie sheet.
7. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
8. While the jalapenos are baking, finely dice the tomato and avocado. Chop the cilantro and juice the lime.
9. Mix avocado, lime juice, garlic, cilantro, and pepper. Then add in tomatoes.
10. Optional: Add brine from jalapenos to make mixture spicier.
11. Open the beans and put them in a small bowl.
12. Crumble the cheese and put it in a small bowl.
13. Take jalapenos out of the oven and let them cool to room temperature before adding toppings.
14. Layer on top of the jalapeno (curved side up) in this order: beans, avocado tomato mixture, and then cheese.
15. Optional: Add LA MORENA® Sliced Jalapeños to make it spicier.
16. Place on serving dish and enjoy
***Pickled Jalapenos are naturally very salty , I do not recommend adding salt to this recipe.
***You can make mixture ahead of time and bake jalapenos, but layer the day you need them, they will get soggy otherwise.
FOR MORE QUICK MEAL SOLUTIONS AND FUN FUSION RECIPES CLICK HERE!