Harvey, what have you done? The images from this tragedy replay in our minds and the stories have pulled at our heartstrings. Did you hear about the toddler that was clinging to her dead mother? The thought of that has me sick! My family was fortunate not to have endured any damage to our homes but we are surrounded by this muddle that is our community.
The majority of us just want to help. Have you seen the power that influence can have on this community? The JJ Watt Foundation goal was originally $200,000 but he has surpassed 14 MILLION! Gallery Furniture opened its doors to help the community which is costing Mattress Mack $30K A DAY, not to mention, he can’t sell any of those items on the showroom floor. The heart that this community is bigger than Texas. As an influencer, we can be the catalysts for a speedy recovery.
I have seen several posts on how to help and it warms my heart! This process is not over so I wanted to contribute myself and offer my audience some ways they can help. Here are some ways you can help near or far! And don’t think anything is too small, I know everyone’s situation is different but every penny, hour of time, and pair of socks counts!
IF YOU ARE LOCAL:
1. Volunteer at shelters or for people in their homes– many of the large facilities have TONS of volunteers. You can use this website to find people that need help cleaning their homes HERE.
2. Donate Items that are needed – NO MORE CLOTHES! Also, to find out what shelters around you need click HERE!
3. Make healthy food drops for your neighbors – working people around the affected areas need food and most places close to them were flooded. Drop off easy to eat foods and or sack lunches.
4. Drop off cleaning supplies for friends or strangers. Gallery Furniture is accepting cleaning supplies – DETAILS HERE!
IF YOU ARE LOCAL AND WORKING, HAVE KIDS AND CAN’T VOLUNTEER, OR OUT OF TOWN:
1. Shop for the people that are in need – A local Houston blogger has given out her affiliate link to shop on Amazon. If you are already planning to buy something for yourself or for the relief use her link to shop – 4.5% of the sales will go to her. This is such an easy way help! http://amzn.to/2epmI2f
2. Send items: Houston needs underwear! This website is collecting them and trust me they need A LOT! https://www.undiesforeveryone.org/
3. Shop from retailers that are offering funds for Harvey – here is one of my favorites. TACO GEAR (Feed 100 People)
4. Help spread the ways people can help. This seems so obvious but not everyone knows what they can do. One Facebook share or Retweet may be able to spark the match that lights a fire to relief.
Thank you to everyone who has reached out to us and to everyone who has already given of their time or resources. This post is just a glimpse of ways you can help. I encourage my fellow Houston and Texas bloggers to share their ways to help posts here. As a collective force, we can be stronger!
KHOU 11 ways to help – HERE!