Schools out for summer so that means it’s officially pool time- yay! I grew up living at the pool in the summer time. If I wasn’t at swim practice (I swam for 13 years), I was at the neighbor’s house swimming. So many fun memories were made around the water and it’s no surprise my little one naturally loves it too. Last year for her birthday we decided to have a Splish Splash Mermaid Bash.
Last year’s pictures by : Laura McCarthy Photography
As I was searching for party favors on the internet I couldn’t find anything that really caught my eye. I am also not a big fan of giving my child a ton of sugar so I usually steer clear of candy bags. I wanted something that the children could use and play with that was one-of-a-kind. Being a Fashion MacGyver, I decided to make something myself. I took a basic hand towel and turned it into a mermaid tail. This easy DIY takes less than 10 minutes, has a minimal amount of supplies, and can be used as a dress-up chest item in the winter.
- A hand towel of your choice
- A piece of ribbon: 5/8 inch width x 48 inches long
- 1 Hair Tie
- Straight Pins
- Sewing Machine ( I have a Singer Stylist)
- Lighter (to heat seal ribbon)
- Heat seal edges of the ribbon with the lighter and cut the tag off of the towel
- Fold towel in half and place a pin to mark the center
- Fold your ribbon in half and line up to the midpoint of the towel with the midpoint of the ribbon
- Pin the ribbon across the top of the towel just under the top seam to prep for sewing (Make sure the ribbon is under the thick part or it will be difficult to sew)
- Sew the ribbon all the way across through the center of the ribbon
- Gather the towel ¾ of the way down and place the hair tie around it
- Pinch the remaining piece in half and wrap the band around a second time
- Adjust the bottom to pieces to look even and you are DONE!
This is a very simple craft perfect for little mermaids and mermen! A fun summer project to do with or for your kids. If you enjoyed my DIY Mermaid Tail I would love for you to check out my DIY Handbag Workshop – for more details and info click here.